Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Time for some exercise.

The Laguna Phuket International Marathon is coming up June 13. I'm not in shape for a marathon right now, but at the same time, they are having a 10K race so I've signed up for it. Phuket is an island and only a couple hours drive away, which is close by when it comes to finding road races in Thailand. The island is an internationally known resort area and quite beautiful. We flew into Phuket when we arrive here in Thailand but it was the middle of the night, so we really didn't have a chance to see any of the island. The race will give us an excuse to go there for a short visit and see the area. Lots of sailboats and sailing there as well, so there's also that to check out. I've been in contact with my old coach, Eric Sorensen, back in the US, and he's doing me up a training schedule. Even though this is just a 10K, a good training schedule makes all the difference in keeping you focused, motivated, on schedule and most importantly, less subject to over-training problems like injuries. As some know, I've had my share of running injuries over the years and I'm not anxious to continue the trend.

It has gotten a tad cooler here within the last week and I think we've got a little acclimated to the heat, so a short race seems doable. And the race certainly take the heat into consideration, they start the marathon at 4:30 in the morning! The 10K starts at 6:30, so I'll be done by 7:30 with the rest of the day to scope out the area and sites.

No comments: